Wednesday, May 2, 2012

"Second Life: The Official Guide"

I love books.  Nowadays, actual books are a little old-school for a tech savvy 24-year-old, but I can't quite get into the eBook thing.  I suppose I enjoy the tactile sensations that come with reading.


(Yes, I bought the book mentioned above.  Yes, I realize that makes me a huge dork.)

Anyways...  Having somehow skipped over Orientation Island and all that, this guide has proven to be a worthwhile read.  It is broken up into parts and chapters, organized in a chronological fashion--the most basic and important stuff is mentioned first.  Although it is over 300 pages long, it's actually a quick read due to the wide margins and numerous full-color photos.  The version I have is a little outdated, but it honestly doesn't make that much of a difference.



I loved learning how Second Life came into existence and seeing what the famous hot-spots were.  Another really helpful chapter explained the overwhelmingly vague Appearance menu, where I learned how to fine-tune my shape.  (I have a free one from Betty Bish.)  Before those hints, I moved the little sliders around randomly, hoping to make myself look decent!

This is what I used to look like--yikes!!


Ugh...not much better here.

Probably the most useful things I've read about so far (I'll keep you updated) are about Animations/Gestures and Inventory.  Learning to use movements really adds to your SL social experience.  I won't get into it, but there are Gestures in your Inventory that you need to activate and practice using.  And the Inventory--you arrive in SL with a whole bunch of useful stuff for free!  You really don't need to buy anything because of all the stuff in there, plus in the Library folders.  Don't overlook it.


No comments:

Post a Comment